Sunday, October 23, 2011

My GEM Car First Post

A few weeks ago I found a 2001 4 seat Gem car in West Covina for $3,000 and bought it.  It had charger problems and tags were back 2 months but only 500 miles on it.  After sending out the charger to Zivan and registering it and driving it I found that I wanted to do a few things where the information is really lacking. 

So I am planning on documenting with some videos for other GEM owners on a few things like:
Installing disc brakes from the drrums (pre 2005 models).  I am currently looking at using Geo Metro disc and calipers on the GEM stock spindles as this has been done before but I am ironing out a few details

Also I am going to document adding a rear facing bench onto the Gem car.  I read that they used to have bolt on kits but I cannot find anything out on these anymore.  I am planning on starting with the cargo frame (I know its only rated at 100lbs) but I really want the rear of the seat to still lock into the back of the car.  I am probably going to beef up the bottom plate the seat sits on and add a boxed frame under the whole seat that attaches to the frame (kind of like ride for funs tool box frame/hitch) so it can be mounted to the frame, shock absorbers, and rear seat latch.  Also with the boxed frame under it I wont have to worry about someone twisting the handle and the seat flying off the car.

Another thing will be motor.  I do have the 3.5hp motor and will be looking to upgrade but not with the expensive ride for funs.  I might have found someone to do 7.5-8.5-9.5hp motors that will be less but I need to calculate how much distance I still want to get after the upgrade without blowing out my batteries.
Doing rims also but that has a ton of info so I wont go to far into those.
More info and pics to follow.
John


No comments:

Post a Comment